Old News Paper Items
Short items and snippets from old newspapers and journals, from the archives or discovered during club members research.
You can use your browser's search facility to help you find words or phrases in the list.
- 1803, “General Views of the Agriculture of Shropshire” J.Plymley - Bog, White Grit & Snailbeach mines.
- 1818, August 5th, Davy lamp causes explosion at Wallsend - 4 killed.
- 1826, April 8th, Public Acknowledgment of Crime - taking a candle into Backworth Colliery.
- 1826, June 20th, Humble Apology - unscrewing Davy lamp at King Pit.
- 1829, May 12th, The Cornish Miners, or The Maniac’s Den, from a Melodrama Poster.
- 1839, October 2nd, Shropshire Pit girl "scam" - culprits apprehended, London.
- 1851, Kelly's Directory Minsterley (including Snailbeach Mine).
- 1853-1859, Coal types sold on the London Market.
- 1853, January 10th, John Lawrence - report on South Bog Mines (Rock Mine).
- 1853, February 5th, Douai, France - New Coalfield.
- 1853, March 24th, Frightful colliery accident - Ince Hall, Wigan.
- 1853, April 2nd, Glasgow - Miners strike settled.
- 1853, August 20th, Kingswood, Bristol - Miners strike resolved.
- 1854, August 26th, Etherley Mechanic's Institute - 9th Annual Meeting.
- 1854, October 21st, Professor Airy’s Experiments in a Coal-pit.
- 1856, February 21st, Madeley Court Works miner injured - Healy.
- 1855, August 16th, Death of Mr.Hoof, tunnel & railway contractor.
- 1856, August 30th, The Cymmer Colliery explosion - Inquest.
- 1857, September 20th, Fatal Boiler Explosion - Trimdon Grange Colliery, Durham.
- 1857, October 9th, Explosions - Butterley Company's Colliery, Ripley, Derbyshire.
- 1857, October 14th, Explosion in pit at Higham, near Barnsley.
- 1857, December 5th, Cwmdyle Mine, Snowdon - rich copper veins.
- 1858, January 2nd, The Depression In The Iron Trade — The Use Of The Ulverstone Ore — Difficulties Attending Its Use — Probability Of Overcoming Them — The Coal Trade.—Notice To Colliers Of A Reduction Of Wages — The Probable Result.
- 1858, January 2nd, Colliery Explosions at the Madeley Wood Company’s pits.
- 1858, January 9th, The Formation of Sulphate of Zinc in Blast Furnaces.
- 1858, January 9th, Establishment Of A Reading-Room, Library, News-Room, Laboratory, &C- For The Use Of The Workpeople; Lecture On The Fine Arts In Their Relation To Manufactures.
- 1858, January 9th, Repairs completed at Lundhill Colliery, Yorkshire, after terrible explosion.
- 1858, January 18th, Two accidents at Clay Cross Collieries, Derbyshire (5 killed).
- 1858, January 23rd, South Wales miners strike - update.
- 1858, January 23rd, State of Trade — Price of Coal — Hard Tops & Cannel — Reduced Wages The Iron Trade.
- 1858, February 2nd, Explosion at the "Diamond Pit", Bardsley, Ashton under Lyne.
- 1858, February 6th, The Coal Trade — Prices of Coal — Horton’s Patent Equilibrium Valve.
- 1858, March 13th, Worry over reduction in Snailbeach workforce.
- 1858, March 13th, Gas explosion kills 2 - Lower Spring Pit.
- 1858, March 20th, Continued Depression in the Iron Trade — A Useless Search for Coal. Serious Accident — Explosion of Fire - damp at Dark Lane Colliery.
- 1858, June 26th, A Sinker’s Claim for Wages.
- 1858, October 4th, Fatal shaft accident at Willey Park - John Hill.
- 1858, October 9th, First steam tug on the Severn.
- 1858, October 23rd, Fatal Accident from a fall of Stone, three Lives lost - Newport, Shropshire.
- 1858, October 23rd, Shropshire Canal back in water.
- 1858, November 13th, Coalport (Shropshire) - Coal Prices.
- 1859, January 15th, Attempt To Sacrifice Life By Cutting A Pit Rope.
- 1859, March 26th, Death of 2 men, Preston New Winning, North Shields - from Derbyshire Times.
- 1859, May 23rd, Collier Thomas Amies (Amos) killed by roof fall, Pudley Hill Coal Pit, Old Park.
- 1861, January 12th, Serious Accident from Gunpowder at Bridgnorth - Mr. Wallace.
- 1861, January 14th, Explosion of Gas at the Grange Pit, Madeley - 1 killed, 3 injured.
- 1861, January 19th, Explosion of Gas at the Grange Pit, Madeley - 3 more die. Inquests start.
- 1861, July 13th, Death from Fire-damp at Dawley - Inquest
- 1861, August 20th, two men called James Corbet survive over wind - Langley Field pits.
- 1861, August 24th, Toad discovered in block of coal - Old Park.
- 1861, October 12th, Pontesbury coalfield to be let on lease.
- 1863, January 17th, Benthall - Interesting discovery of wooden railway, carriages, grease pot and pipe bowls.
- 1863, May 16th, Broseley News - basket, dan, gaun, & axe found in old workings at Ferry-field.
- 1865, September 30th, Fossil trees discovered at Ironbridge..
- 1870, February 26th, Extracts from John Randall letter to the Mining Journal.
- 1870, August 24th, Charges brought against Dark Lane Colliery manager - Mr. Summers.
- 1875, Buildwas Abbey Subterranean Passageway discovered - Randall's Guide to Wenlock
- 1875, June 5th, Shropshire and North Wales Mining Intelligence - from The Mining World (Bog, Pennerley, Ladywell, South Roman Gravels)
- 1875, June, Monthly Illustrated - New Developments at Moat Hall, Shrewsbury.
- 1879, January 4th, Cranston Rock Drill (Advertisement) , Newcastle-on-Tyne.
- 1879, February 1st, Coal cutting machine, Trimdon Grange Colliery.
- 1881, May 14th, A Severn valley Coalfield (Wyre Forest).
- 1881, May 16th, Accident at Wood House Pit - Henry Hoof.
- 1881, May 24th, Accident at Meadow Pit, Madeley - Henry Wilson.
- 1881, August 15th, Accident to Miner, Coalbrookdale - Thomas Ellis.
- 1881, August 23rd, Accident at gin pit, Broseley - James Hall (Benbow).
- 1882, March 4th, Madeley Court Pit Accident - Richard Rogers (level filler).
- 1894, May, The Method of Working Shropshire’s Broseley or Red Clay.
- 1894, September 11, A Sewer Laborer's Feat, Waltham, Mass., USA.
- 1895, January 19, Action Against Colliery Proprietor - James Ferriday.
- 1895, February 16, Meadow Pits: Accident to Pritchard & Severe weather.
- 1895, March 9, Suden death - Benjamin Hinsley, Engineman.
- 1895, April 13, Meadow Pit: Accident to Spendlove (horse driver).
- 1895, June 22, Dangeorus hoax at Shaw's Pit, Madeley.
- 1895, July 6, Accidents to Anderson & Pugh, Madeley Wood Pits.
- 1895, August 17, Hill Pits, Madeley - Accident to Frank Davies.
- 1895, September 7, Inquest into death of Benjamin Rushton, horse driver, Lilleshall Pits..
- 1895, September 14, Drunkenness, Iornbridge - John Harris, collier.
- 1895, September 28, Kemberton Pits, Madeley - Accident to Bates.
- 1895, November 9,Inquest into death of Alfred Lees, horse driver, Barrack Pit, St. Georges.
- 1895, November 16, Funeral of Alfred Lees at Donnington Wood.
- 1895, November 23, Stych's Colliery - Accident to Mr. J.Fox.
- 1895, December 7, Halesfield Pit - Accident to Briscoe, Hill's Lane Pit - men on notice.
- 1895, December 14, Madeley Court Colliery - Accident to Hayward, Halesfield Colliery - Accident to Kelsey.
- 1895, December 21, Kemberton Colliery - Accident to Davies, Court Field Pits - Accident to Tranter.
- 1897, Watchman dies in burning pitshaft - Wednesbury, Staffordshire.
- 1897, December 18, Hanwood Mill Collapses - 1 dead.
- 1898, January 1st, Another Collapse at Hanwood Mill - 2 injured.
- 1898, April 2nd, Frightful fall at Pudley Pit, Old Park - 1 killed.
- 1898, April 2nd, Lead Mining in Shrosphire - records from the Lawrences.
- 1898, April 16th, Shelve Mining District and Leigh Level Drainage Scheme - W.Oldfield.
- 1898, May 28th, Madeley Court Pit Accident - 1 injured.
- 1899, May 20th, Accident at the Fish House, Broseley.
- 1899, June 3rd, Fatality at Snailbeach Lead Mines.
- 1899, June 24th, Fatal Accident at Wrockwardine Wood.
- 1899, July 1st, Fatal Accident at Wrockwardine Wood - Inquest & Funeral.
- 1899, July 8th, Black Damp fatality, Station Pit, Oakengates.
- 1899, September 30th, Fatality at Snailbeach Lead Mines.
Background to the origins of:
- from the pages of which many of the snippets of news appearing here, have been gleaned.
- 1900, Mines Inspectors Reports - Summary of engines and boilers.
- 1900, Water Worker Fatalities.
- 1901, May 4th, The Minsterley Mines - Chancery Court.
- 1902, May 17th, Mining in Shropshire - Meeting of Owners and Mangers.
- 1902, June 28th,Shropshire Mines and Quarries - Mr. W.N.Atkinson's Report.
- 1902, July 5th, Madeley (Shropshire) - Accident, Kemberton Pit.
- 1902, July 12th, Fatal Colliery Accident, Stafford Pits, St.George's (Shropshire) - Man killed and another seriously injured.
- 1902, December 6th, Inquest into fatal accident - Lilleshall Co's Stafford Pits.
- 1903, January 18th, Pitshaft fall, Hanley, Potteries - The Sentinel
- 1905, January 2nd, Fatal Accident at Highley Colliery - Alfred Davies burnt by paraffin.
- 1906, February 17th, The Miners Greeting - Re-opening of Shropshire Lead Mines.
- 1906, February 24th, Presentation to Mr.Raspass (mining engineer) - Madeley, Shropshire .
- 1906, March 1st,Explosion at a Quarry near Wellington (Shropshire) - 2 Quarrymen Injured.
- 1906, March 17th, French Mine Disaster - Courrieres Mine, near Lens.
- 1906, March 31st, French Mine Disaster - Update.
- 1906, May 26th, Local Mining Statistics - Mines Inspectors Report.
- 1906, June 30th, Shropshire Mine Accident - Woodhouse Pit, St. George's.
- 1906, October 20th, Sad Fatality at Meadow Pit, Madeley, Shropshire (Arthur Turner, 8).
- 1906, December 6th, Explosion at Stafford Pits (Shropshire) - Opening a lamp
- 1906, December 15th, Broseley Petty Sessions - Dunge Coalpit, Mines Act.
- 1908, February 8th, Broseley Petty Sessions - Theft of Coal.
- 1908, July 8th, Mines Inspector report - fatal over wind, Barracks Pit, Donnington (T.Jones, foreman sinker killed).
- 1908, August 22nd, Colliery Disaster - Maypole Colliery, Abram, near Wigan.
- 1908, August 29th, Flooding Wigan Mine - Maypole Colliery, Abram, near Wigan.
- 1908, September 3rd, Steam pipe accident - Niddrie Pit, Midlothian + Miner dies at Great Northern Station, Ilkeston.
- 1908, September 5th, Coal cutting machine accident - Aberpergam Colliery, Glynneath.
- 1908, September 10th, Accident - Cabbage Hall Colliery, Dudley + Miners strike - Riggonheads Colliery, Haddingtonshire.
- 1908, September 19th, Explosion in Flooded Mine - Maypole Colliery, Abram, near Wigan.
- 1908, September 19th, Lightning in Mine - Pennsylvania, USA.
- 1910, April 16th, Billingsley Colliery bought by South Wales Co.
- 1910, September 3rd, New Coal Seam Discovered - Madeley Wood Colliery.
- 1910, December 10th, Cage Accident at Kemberton Colliery, Madeley.
- 1910, December 17th, Kemberton Colliery Disaster - Inquest.
- 1911, January 21st, Terrible Fall, Engine-driver killed - Madeley Court Field, Madeley, Shropshire.
- 1911, February 4th, A Madeley Fatality - Halesfield Pit, Madeley, Shropshire.
- 1911, March 25th, Madeley Collier's Death - the Inquest.
- 1911, July 29, Lead Mining - the Hope Valley , Shropshire.
- 1911, September 9th, Mining Dinner - Catering Tenders invited, Oakengates, Shropshire.
- 1911, September 30th, Mining Dinner - The Miner's ideal, Oakengates, Shropshire.
- 1911, October 28th, Priorslee Miner's Death - Freehold Pit, St. George's, Shropshire.
- 1911, November 4th, Priorslee Miner's Death - Inquest.
- 1911, November 18th, Repairs to Colliery Plant - Victoria Colliery Company, Ketley, Shropshire.
- 1913, June 13th, Edward Medal awarded to men at Markham Colliery (Derbyshire).
- 1955, The Boden Family, Madeley Wood Colliery.
- 1955, July 1st, New Pit for Salop (Madeley, Shropshire).
- 1959, April 4th, Hopes For Rich Strike In Stiperstones Mine - Burgam Lead Mine.
© Shropshire Caving & Mining Club. Last updated: 31-Mar-2020