Eardiston north of Shrewsbury

Situated near the village of West Felton (on the A5 north of Shrewsbury), this small mine worked a 700m long body of ore, reaching depths of 30 to 60m in Triassic Keuper sandstone.

The ore body has been shown to have contained a mixture of absolite (cobalt), barite, calcite, iron oxides and malachite (copper).

At least 10 shallow shafts are known to have been sunk along the vein, with several cross-cuts, open pits and stopes.



Historical Background
The earlist documented mining (by D.W.Jones) took place about 1826 from shallow shafts - although the miners discovered that the site had already been worked and copper ore removed.

Known working periods:

Date Miner/Company

pre 1800's (?)

unknown local miners (?)

1826 to 1829

David William Jones (Jones the lime mans)

1836 to 1839

Liverpool Partnership - leader Robert Parry

1840 to 1844

Eardiston Mine Company

1862 to 1863

local miners (Coghill and Harris?)

1864 to 1865

British Copper Co. Ltd.


Drilling and survey programme

The most productive period was 1840-44. Ore from here was taken by cart a couple of miles north west to Queens Head canal wharf at Rednal (NGR: SJ 340 268) for transportation to Liverpool, in later years it was sent by train.

Local miners worked the site in 1862 to pay for the building of a nearby Chapel, just prior to its acquisition by the British Copper Co. Ltd. who, despite their claims of high quality ore went into liquidation in 1865.


Sketch plan of surviving Eardiston Copper Mine Adit Remains Today
The mine was reputed to be very wet when working and the present remains include the foundations of a small engine house, possible winder site? (on the west side of the minor road which divides the site).

In front of the engine house is a run-in shaft with another building alongside it (pumping engine site?).

Across the road from the engine house is a quarry with the entrance to a hand picked sandstone adit. Originally 522 feet long the adit is quite close to surface and has collapsed some distance in.

The adit is not straight, going through a 90 degree dog-leg a few metres. Just after this section a weak section in the roof has been lined with large sandstone block arching. A few years ago along the line of the adit, shafts were visible in the field above, however due to modern ploughing techniques these are no longer visible.



Credits - Thanks to:

Kynaston Estate for allowing access to the site.

Report, sketches & pictures: Kelvin Lake

a little bat ...

This site is on Private Property, there is no public access, permission to visit must be obtained.